Featured post

Finding another way

This is a short story that I wrote in a creative meditation session at the start of the new year. It illustrates the challenges I now recog...

Tuesday 27 January 2015

Finding another way

This is a short story that I wrote in a creative meditation session at the start of the new year. It illustrates the challenges I now recognise I faced when I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia/ADD, and the steps I am taking to overcome them every day. I hope it will inspire others who are experiencing similar challenges in their lives.


Finding another way

There once was a girl who wanted to see the world. She lived in a valley with a stream in the shadow of a mountain. Every day she would see the birds flying, soaring higher and higher, up above the clouds. She wandered what it would be like to be a bird, to fly so high with them. But she didn't have wings. How could she join them? 

She thought day after day, watching the birds, feeling lonely and small. She grew tired of her life, unhappy and angry that she had been born without wings. She felt sorry for herself, until one day she decided that if God hadn't given her wings, it didn't mean she couldn't reach the top of the mountain. It just meant that she had to find another way, to work it out for herself and to do it her way. 

So she decided to climb the mountain. If she couldn't fly, and didn't have wings, she could still find a way to reach the top of the mountain, to be with the birds and to see the world from their point of view. So she strapped on her walking boots, said goodbye to her little house, and set off in the direction of the mountain. 

The sun was shining and the air was warm, and she put one foot in front of the other, telling herself "I want to be with the birds, I want to see the world from their point of view. If I take it one step at a time, and walk forward, I will get there."

She walked and walked, one foot in front of the other, ignoring the voice that told her she wouldn't make it. 

"I'm going to make it, watch me and see" she whispered, then spoke, then shouted aloud. Soon she was halfway up the mountain. The voice began again, "Give up, you'll never make it" 

"Oh yes, I will, watch me and see" one foot in front of the other, step by step, one foot in front of the other, she climbed that mountain, all the while telling herself, "I'm going to make it"

Lynn Degele, (January 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment