Featured post

Finding another way

This is a short story that I wrote in a creative meditation session at the start of the new year. It illustrates the challenges I now recog...

Saturday 18 June 2016

To Fly Like You

In May this year I travelled by myself to Singapore and India, for work. Meeting new people and colleagues showed me new strengths and resources within myself that have come to light since my diagnosis of Dyspraxia/ADD. 
 
This poem is my attempt to share what I experienced on my journey.*


To Fly Like You

At the close of the trip of a lifetime
Two cities visited; two countries
A vision of the Taj Mahal carrying her through


Accompanied by the black kites
A solitary traveller meeting new friends
Taking a moment in a silent spot to express gratitude
Having seen everything she wanted to see


Paused to say thank you, only to become aware
Of a kite catching the wind in its wings
Turned to smile and laugh and say
"I want to fly like you"


Face to face with this majestic bird
Hearing the softest whisper
"It's easy, just open your wings"


A moment of pure joy to step forward to the wall
Opening up her arms, as wide as the world
Turning her face to the sun, feeling the warmth shining down


Lifting her arms to the sky and closing her eyes,
Immersed in the moment
Time standing still, a kite hovering close to the sun
Feeling as though in that moment

She could touch the sky


Lynn Degele (June 2016)

* This post feels a fitting addition to my previous short story post "Finding Another Way"


No comments:

Post a Comment