Featured post

Finding another way

This is a short story that I wrote in a creative meditation session at the start of the new year. It illustrates the challenges I now recog...

Sunday 4 November 2018

The Peace of Railway Tracks


I wrote this in April this year, nearly six months ago. I have since been on the journey I mentioned, and returned with experiences and insights. I will share those in turn. I am posting the original text, as I wrote it when it was still a dream. 


I recently decided I want to travel more by train. The decision came almost entirely out of nowhere. I was standing on the platform at our local railway station, waiting for the train to London, when one of the newer express trains came rushing through to some far-flung destination, and I experienced an intense longing to be on that particular train, wherever it was going. 

I was drawn by the speed, by the elegance and grace of the train that was able to travel so confidently at that speed, because the tracks had already been laid out, and the driver could trust that the signals would indicate when to slow down or when to proceed “full steam” ahead.

I say this desire came almost entirely out of nowhere – now that I reflect on it, I remember spending several days with my parents in Hamburg last July, travelling by train most days, and being particularly inspired by the ICE trains that carry passengers to Hanover and Cologne at high speeds.

We didn't have the opportunity to travel on one last year, due to circumstances, but I did promise myself I would do it at some point. Until recently trains in the UK have not been as fast as the German trains, but I was delighted to find my train to London that day, was one of the newer, faster trains, and I sat in my window seat, watching the landscape rushing by on the way to our destination.

It may in part be that the new livery and design of the coaches, which feels more spacious, contributed to this feeling, but as I sat there, I became more convinced that the train would be the perfect form of travel for me. Whilst flying is quick, there is a lot to organise and it's not as flexible to change times or destinations, nor do the airports tend to be as centrally located in cities as railway stations. Coaches are fine, but feel less spacious, and I'm less likely to get up and move around. Also very few, if any, have table seating that allows passengers a little more room. In addition, train tracks are level, roads aren't, and are dependent on the vagaries of traffic, speed bumps or hills.

I have had a vague notion that I might like to go on a cruise one day, but I'm still not convinced I wouldn't experience seasickness, and I'm not sure I would like the idea of being quite so locked into the direction of travel, and the ship, whilst travelling. Also, cruises tend only to dock for day-trips, and I remember thinking I really liked the idea of travelling on one day to the next city, and spending one or two days there, to explore, then move on.

I'm currently planning this journey over the summer, with three legs of my trip, and I'm incredibly excited at doing this for myself. Originally this year I had intended to fly out to Hawaii to celebrate my birthday, but this actually feels right to me – it's a way of celebrating my independence, of organising my own itinerary, building on the visit I did to Singapore and India in 2016, and a way of going on another important journey with myself.

I discovered another insight whilst I was standing on the train platform recently – whilst the trains were passing through the station departing and arriving from their various destinations, I remember looking up at the sky, and in that moment, seeing a red kite soaring past overhead, against the backdrop of the clouds. Ever since I learnt about these majestic birds, I have been drawn to their effortless grace, and as this one flew past in a direct line without pause, I realised that for me, getting on a train is one of the ways I'm fully able to press pause, to stop and be in the moment. I have come to recognise that the necessity of having myself organised, and the act of having to stand and wait on the platform for the right train, is a clear signal to me, body mind and soul, that I am stepping away from my life for a little while. 

Once on the train, I have to cede control to the driver and the railway company, and then I can relax. The physical change of space and pace really helps me disconnect and change my perspective, so I have promised myself I will create more opportunities to explore my surroundings by train this year.

I can't wait to see what I discover.



No comments:

Post a Comment